Monday, March 24, 2008

March 21 - Renovations


At this point I have 100 hours committed to the renovations on the boat. I spent the fall stripping 8 layers of paint off the bottom, grinding 1/4 inch of metal off the whole keel, and sanding the fiberglass to a smooth finish.


Apparently one should wear eye googles and not glasses when grinding raw iron, or so said the ER doctor as she romved the meatl from my cornea. Very pianfull. Oh and I now know the paint stripper that I used is a cancer causing agent. Wonderful.


So today I wire-wheeled the keel to remove the winter rust build-up. I do not recommend this process as steel needles rotating at high speed turned my legs into a pin cushion. Cleaned the keel up nice though.


Another pleasant suprise - after sanding off some cover up paint I found the repair job from when a previous owner had a few too many and rammed into something - hard. Oh well, just another thing to fix.

No comments: